16 January, 2023
We are very excited to share the first snapshot for 1.16, “Nether Update”, with you! This snapshot includes new biomes, blocks, as well as a fancy new ore called “ancient detritus”.
– New Nether blocks added!- Knockback resistance now has a probability instead of a scale- Added Crimson Forest biome the Nether – Added Soulsand Valley biome the Nether – Walls don't have gaps anymore when stacked vertically – Added Warped Forest biome the Nether
Numerous new block types were added!
– Crimson Stems or Warped Stems are two new wood-like materials. Basalt blocks can be used to create pillars. Soul Soil is able to create Soul Torches and Soul Lanterns by using bone meal from Netherrack.
Crimson Forests are now available in the Nether!
Crimson Nylium carpets the cave floor in all sorts of new vegetation. Shroomlights light up the forest floor. Weeping Vines and fungi grow from cave ceilings. Hoglins roam these forests. Crimson Spores swirl through the air.
– A high-level new material discovered in the Nether. It can be used to upgrade your diamond gear.
– Find Ancient Debris in the Nether's lower depths. At your own risk. There is no insurance coverage for this.
– Netherite objects float in lava so that you don't lose your gear after an unplanned lava bath.- Netherite weapons do greater damage than diamond-Netherite armor has higher toughness, durability, and knockback resistance than diamond.
The Nether now has Soulsand Valleys!
– A large open space made mostly from Soul Sand and Soul Soil. Basalt pillars span from ceiling to floor. Fossil remains from unknown creatures from the past litter this valley. Ash falls through the valley. A light blue glow surrounds the valley.
Ghasts sounds can now be heard at a lower range – Updated block sounds to Bone Blocks for Bone Blocks (Netherrack, Soul Sand), Nether Bricks, and Quartz Ore
You can now find warped forests in the Nether!
– Warped Nylium carpets the cave floor, with all sorts of strange new vegetation. Huge Warped Fungi make this forest's “trees”, with Shroomlights lighting the forest floor. A dark blue fog covers it. Warped spores swirl around the forest. The Warped Forests are a strange place in Nether.
– The Nether biome has been renamed Nether Wastes. This makes shipwrecks, ocean ruins, and other marine wrecks a little less common.
– Added a locbiome command
A new command that locates a specific biome. Useful in creative mode when you'relooking for a specific biome and don't want to fly around randomly searching for it.Syntax: locatebiomeParameters:
biome – The id for the biome to locate
– The new particle types are ash, soul_fire_flame, crimson_spore and warped_spore
– The Nailed Entity shadows the ground.
MC-17431: Shift-clicking stacked objects with a data tag in the enchanting table GUI removes the data tags from the moved items
MC-45619 – Water, Signs, Vines, Torches etc. In the same block as item frame, break item frame's redstone sign
MC-52178 – Cape doesn't move down when sneaking / Cape disconnects from body while sneaking
MC-59363: Items in item frames are deleted when both mouse buttons are simultaneously used
MC-82235 – When lightning strikes, baby pigs become adult zombie pigmen
MC-92889: Mending doesn't always consume experience if items are fully repaired
MC-93198: Both hands bob up and downward when you throw potions or throwable projectiles.
MC-93631: Pistons release blocks attached to their backs when retracting
MC-96436 – Eggs/snowballs/xp-bottles break instantly when thrown while riding a horse
MC-97958: Small slime does not make a jump or squish sound
MC-103655: Cats don't stand when they're right clicked on them while they're on beds or chests
MC-109370: The bottom face of column blocks is rotated 180 degrees
MC-109844 – en_us.json contains unutilized strings
MC-109850 Redstone wire does not have a bottom texture
MC-112630: A carrot on a stick can't be broken
MC-113381 – Concrete powder blocks and falling dust particles are black
MC-120335: The bottom texture of flower pots is not rendered due to incorrect “uv” values in the model file
MC-131440: The message about trying to sleep at the wrong hour implies that you can only rest at night during a thunderstorm
MC-131770: Rain particles appear one block beneath the water or lava surface
MC-132607: Splitting slimes or magma cubes does not copy NoAI value
MC-134162 – Item entities can break turtle eggs
MC-1368688 – When it hits soul sand or snow layers, Ignited TNT or arrow turns black.
MC-138600: Cats don't bring gifts if their bed is already made.
MC-140544 – Pickaxes don't speed up piston breaking
MC-148474 – Sloped powered detector rails fail when pushed or pulled by a piston
MC-149052 Stonecutter recipe doesn't include item tooltips
MC-149776 – Cartography Table requires string in order for the recipe to appear in the recipe book
MC-150020 Composter is now in the “Miscellaneous”, instead of “Decoration” as the other workstation blocks.
MC-154867: If the world is reloaded and the cat is still sitting, he/she can remain sitting.
MC-158807: You can remove cursed items from your inventory by repairing them
MC-159300: Villagers infected with a zombie can despawn even if they were traded with
MC-159773: Shulkers can teleport from solid faces to non-solid faces. They don't teleport from solid faces to MC-159773
MC-159918 – Polar bears are not the only thing foxes can run from
MC-159963 – Minecarts can crack turtle eggs
MC-160897: Dropping an item with the drop key displays the hand animation, but dropping items from the inventory does not
MC-160902 – Arm swings while right-clicking on full minecart
MC-161156: Silverfish and endermites appear dark on soul sand
MC-161259: Using a carrot on a stick to ride a pig is no hand animation
MC-162881 Composter doesn't display particles when it's being fed composting items through the hopper
MC-163286 – /setblock ~ ~ ~ air destroy does not destroy liquids
MC-164184: Breaking a shulker container with contents in Creative mode results in the removal of the block from the wrong location
MC-164948: Entity shadow renders through transparent blocs
MC-167077: Foxes sleep on honey blocks even in broad daylight
MC-167512 – Glass in the hand is rendered differently based on the “Clouds” setting
MC-167989: Spawn point cannot be set when monsters are near
MC-168540 – Threads created by net.minecraft.Util.backgroundExecutor() have misleading names
MC-168772: Turtle eggs can be crushed by experience orbs
MC-169679: Composters don't make any sounds when they are fed by hoppers
MC-169692 – Entity shadow floats slightly higher than the ground
MC-169832 Transparent item models are inconsistent when a glowing entity exists
MC-170128 – Cannot build an EntityType without a datafixer due to an IllegalArgumentException